What can be done to protect my home from carbon monoxide?

Preventing it from happening is the most important place to start. Completing appropriate safety precautions will decrease your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in the Wasatch Front region.

Here are a few steps you can take to keep your family protected:

  • Idle your car outside your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so never leave yours on in the restricted space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
  • Don’t use ovens or grills for heat. These appliances are safe when used properly but can make carbon monoxide when used for a long period of time in little spaces.
  • Don’t run a gas generator indoors, since it produces fumes.
  • Have your chimney examined by a professional. This makes sure chimneys and vents are clear and connected appropriately.
  • Check gas appliances are working accurately, particularly your heating system. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe comfort by scheduling yearly furnace maintenance with Barlow Service Experts.