Preventing it from happening is the most important place to start. Completing correct safety precautions will decrease your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in the Wasatch Front region.
Here are a few steps you can take to keep your family safe:
- Idle your car outside your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours going in the small space of a garage. The same applies for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t use ovens or grills for heat. These things are safe when used properly but can make carbon monoxide when used for a long period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, since it makes fumes.
- Have your chimney examined by a professional. This makes sure chimneys and vents are clear and connected correctly.
- Check gas appliances are working correctly, particularly your heater. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe comfort by scheduling yearly furnace maintenance with Barlow Service Experts.