Preventing it from happening is the most important place to start. Completing appropriate safety precautions will decrease your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in the Wasatch Front region.
Here are a few steps you can take to keep your family protected:
- Idle your car outside your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so never leave yours on in the restricted space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t use ovens or grills for heat. These appliances are safe when used properly but can make carbon monoxide when used for a long period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, since it produces fumes.
- Have your chimney examined by a professional. This makes sure chimneys and vents are clear and connected appropriately.
- Check gas appliances are working accurately, particularly your heating system. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe comfort by scheduling yearly furnace maintenance with Barlow Service Experts.