One of the most basic issues that we come acress at Barlow Service Experts in the Wasatch Front region is filthy air filters. They might seem like a very insignificant piece of the whole home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us create comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners notice. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a variety of concerns for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you neglect to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you could encounter:
- Decreased airflow. This is easily the biggest issue you’ll recognize when your home’s air filter is very clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being changed, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this prevents air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working significantly harder to give you the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is operating harder as a result of a filthy air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to leave you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off excessively. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shorter equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- Greater dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any likely damage that may come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the various air filters we carry, give Barlow Service Experts a call at 801-436-8985 or schedule an appointment online.