When severe weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair expert to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your steps were worth the time.
At Barlow Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets strewn about during threatening weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Barlow Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in the Wasatch Front region, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in the Wasatch Front region or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 801-436-8985 or schedule an appointment with Barlow Service Experts through our online scheduler.