Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is on? There’s probably something wrong with your unit. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—troubles later. We’re going to help you find out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling generally indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can’t determine where the noise is coming from, that’s alright. A professional can help determine where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Mature ductwork can produce noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be caused by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can be due to a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A loud noise from your external unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Read through our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about frequent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep using my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s almost impossible to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting down the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there’s something wrong with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it’s best to get problems corrected right away. Getting a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
How to Pick Out an Effective HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more important than picking out the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This choice affects your daily comfort, monthly utility expenses and overall home efficiency. Then again, with so many system... Continue reading
Annual HVAC Maintenance Guidelines
Now that the air starts to get cold, you know it’s time to prepare your home for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is key to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace delivers the comfort you crave while using less energy. Routine inspections also make your system... Continue reading
HVAC Trends: What’s New in 2024
In the ever-evolving world of home comfort technologies, keeping up with the latest HVAC trends is imperative for homeowners seeking to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. Looking into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing cutting-edge technologies and trends aimed at... Continue reading