Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your home, being comfortable in your new area throughout the year is important. However, they can make a unique situation for contentment. This is due to the fact adding ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the heightened load, because it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most affordable possibilities is to get a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Find out more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition can be a great solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, since they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient because they transfer heat to make your addition more comfortable. In reality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for extra rebates and lower your utility bills for a long time.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Since each room usually has its own indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is particularly useful if you have a room with specific temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that are without ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s better than adding ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Adding ductwork is pricey. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the exact figure will depend on your house, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system may become overwhelmed. When your existing heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your home in advance of the addition. This may stress your system and make it fail more quickly.
- Your comfort may decrease. As your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort might suffer if your system is forced to manage a wider location. Your heating and cooling may be less efficient, and your utility costs could get more expensive since the system needs to run more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are offered in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Barlow Service Experts, we’ll help you get the correct size for your new addition. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate huge energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or greater when adequately maintained. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in contrast to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Barlow Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you select the recommended model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Barlow Service Experts can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently wrapped one up, we can provide assistance. Give us a call at 801-436-8985 now to request a free consultation and estimate.